A 15-minute recipe for napa cabbage steaks. Here’s one of the easiest, most delicious ways to cook napa cabbage (aka Chinese cabbage). It’s pan-seared cabbage with a sweet and savory miso sauce! All you need are baby napa cabbage, and just a handful of seasonings to make this deliciously hearty, healthy dish.
Please note, this post may contain affiliate links. Learn More
Ingredients for Napa Cabbage Steaks
Here are the ingredients you’ll need:
- baby napa cabbage
- sesame oil
- chili flakes
- agave syrup
- dark soy sauce
(see Ingredient Notes below for recommendations/substitutions)
A detailed recipe with measurements is in the recipe card below.
Baby napa cabbage – (Wawa choy) baby, or young, napa cabbage is smaller than regular full-sized napa. The leaves are more tender and sweeter, with a milder flavor. They’re perfect for this steak recipe because they cook faster, and fit in the frying pan easier.
If you don’t have baby napa, you can use regular sized ones. Just keep in mind that regular ones will need a longer cooking time.
Miso – use darker types of miso, like Yellow or Red Miso, for this recipe. White miso is a bit too mild and lacks the savoriness the darker ones add.
Mirin – it’s a type of rice wine with a slightly sweet, tangy flavor. Mirin is a staple ingredient for many Japanese dishes, especially since it pairs really well with soy sauce. It’s readily available at Asian supermarkets and online.
Agave syrup – can be subbed with maple syrup.
Dark soy sauce – it’s thicker, darker, and slightly sweeter than regular soy sauce. They’re usually available at Chinese supermarkets and online. (In Japan) Dark soy sauce is usually sold at Kaldi, and some large supermarkets like Aeon.
How to make Napa Cabbage Steak
A detailed recipe is in the recipe card at the bottom of this post, but here’s a quick overview of the process.
1. In a small sauce pan, add the ingredients for the miso sauce and simmer on low heat until well combined. Set aside.
2. Heat sesame oil in a frying pan, and sear the cabbage on all sides until charred, almost burnt. (The blacked edges are the best part!)
3. Plate the cabbage, and generously brush miso sauce on all sides. Garnish with chili flakes, and serve while warm. ENJOY!
Recipe also available on Reels
Looking for other veggie side dishes?
- Garlic Edamame
- Sautéed Bok Choy
- Asian Cucumber Salad
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- Grilled Parmesan Asparagus
Thank you for visiting my blog! If you made this recipe, or any other recipes of mine, be sure to tag me @veganesetokyo on Instagram and use the hashtag #veganesetokyo. I would love to see your creations❤️
Napa Cabbage Steaks
- 1 baby napa cabbage cut lengthwise into quarters
- 2 Tbsp sesame oil
- chili flakes for garnish
for Sweet Miso Sauce
- 2 Tbsp miso
- 2 Tbsp mirin
- 1 Tbsp agave syrup or maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp dark soy sauce can be subbed with 1 tsp regular soy sauce with a pinch of sugar
Make the sauce
- In a small sauce pan, add the ingredients for the miso sauce and simmer on low heat for 1 minute, until well combined. Set aside.
Cook napa cabbage
- Heat sesame oil in a frying pan, and cook the cabbage on medium heat. Sear the cabbage on all sides until charred, almost burnt (the blacked edges are the best part). Cook for about 3~4 minutes per side.
- Plate the cabbage, and generously brush miso sauce on all sides. Garnish with chili flakes, and serve while warm. ENJOY
- ミニ白菜 1株 ＊ 4等分にカット
- ごま油 大さじ 2
- 一味唐辛子 適量
- 味噌 大さじ 2
- みりん 大さじ 2
- アガベシロップ 大さじ 1 メープルシロップでもOK
- ごま油 小さじ 1/2
- 老抽 小さじ 1/2 なければ、醤油 小さじ ＋ 砂糖 ひとつまみ