If you’re looking for a quick and easy vegan side dish to make for dinner tonight, how about this 10-minute miso butter asparagus. This simple yet flavorful dish combines the nutty, savory flavor of miso & butter with the crunchy, green vegetable for a unique and delicious side dish.
Please note, this post may contain affiliate links. Learn More
Ingredients for Miso Butter Asparagus
Here are the 5 ingredients you’ll need:
- white miso
- vegan butter
(see Ingredient Notes below for recommendations/substitutions)
A detailed recipe with measurements is in the recipe card below.
Miso – it adds “umami”, an added depth of flavor and savoriness. In this recipe, I use white miso paste, also known as shiro miso. It has a lighter color and sweeter, milder flavor compared darker types miso, which is darker and has a richer, saltier taste. If you don’t have white miso, you can use regular yellow miso instead.
Mirin – it is a type of sweet rice wine that is commonly used in Japanese cooking. It has a unique flavor that is both sweet and slightly acidic, and it is often used as a seasoning in marinades, sauces, and glazes. Mirin is readily available at most Asian supermarkets and online.
How to make Miso Butter Asparagus
A detailed recipe is in the recipe card at the bottom of this post, but here’s a quick overview of the process.
1. Trim the ends of the asparagus, and place in a baking dish or a large bowl.
2. Whisk together miso, mirin, and ginger in a small bowl. Pour mixture over the asparagus and toss to coat.
3. Heat vegan butter on medium-low heat in a skillet. Place the asparagus in the skillet, and cook for 3~5 minutes, or until desired tenderness. Turn asparagus regularly to ensure even cooking.
Cooking time will slightly vary depending on thickness.
Looking for other vegan side dishes?
- Garlic Edamame
- Sautéed Bok Choy
- Asian Cucumber Salad
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- Garlic Sauteed Spinach
Thank you for visiting my blog! If you made this recipe, or any other recipes of mine, be sure to tag me @veganesetokyo on Instagram and use the hashtag #veganesetokyo. I would love to see your creations❤️
Miso Butter Asparagus
- 400 grams (1 bunch) asparagus trimmed
- 1 tbsp vegan butter
- lemon wedges for garnish optional
for the marinade
- 2 tbsp white miso
- 2 tbsp mirin
- 1 tsp ginger grated
- Trim the ends of the asparagus, and place in a baking dish or a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the ingredients for the marinade (miso, mirin, and ginger). Pour mixture over the asparagus and toss to coat.
- Heat vegan butter on medium-low heat in a skillet. Place the asparagus in the skillet, and cook for 3~5 minutes, or until desired tenderness. Turn asparagus regularly to ensure even cooking. Cooking time will slightly vary depending on thickness.
- Plate and serve with lemon wedges on the side. Enjoy!