A cool and refreshing Cucumber Salad with Asian flavors. It’s tangy, spicy and slightly sweet, with a lot of crunch. This is a vibrant summer salad that takes less than 10 minutes to make!
ASIAN CUCUMBER SALAD
This vegan cucumber salad is the perfect side dish – it’s healthy, vibrant and incredibly easy to make. Basically, it’s sliced cucumbers tossed in a zesty dressing with bold Asian flavors. I especially love this salad during the hot summer days! Cucumbers are great to keep you cool and hydrated.
WHAT INGREDIENTS YOU NEED
Here’s a list of ingredients you will need to make this Asian Cucumber Salad.
- Japanese cucumbers
- red onion
- rice vinegar
- soy sauce
- sesame oil
- grated ginger
- grated garlic
- white miso
- maple syrup
- sesame seeds
- red chili flakes
A detailed recipe with measurements is in the recipe card below.
Japanese cucumbers – they are the best type of cucumbers to use for this salad. Compared to other types of cucumbers, Japanese cucumbers are crunchier and sweeter. Their skin is thinner and less waxy, and they don’t have any mature seeds inside. Persian or English cucumbers would also work for this recipe.
Gochujang (コチュジャン) – it’s a fermented chili paste popular in Korean cooking. Gochujang is a great condiment to use for savory, spicy and slightly sweet flavors. It’s sold in any Asian supermarket or on Amazon. If you don’t have it, you can substitute it with another chili sauce, like Sriracha or Sambal sauce.
Soy sauce – use low-sodium soy sauce, or tamari
Rice vinegar (米酢) – it is a type of vinegar made from fermented rice. Rice vinegar has a milder, slightly sweeter taste than regular vinegar. If you don’t have rice vinegar, substitute it with white wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar.
White Miso (白味噌) – compared to darker red or brown miso, white miso is milder in taste with less salt. It’s best suited for sauces, dressings and marinades. If you don’t have white miso, substitute it with regular dark miso or soy sauce, but reduce the amount. (Adjust the amount to taste)
HOW TO MAKE ASIAN CUCUMBER SALAD
A detailed recipe is in the recipe card at the bottom of this post, but let me give you a quick overview of the process.
- Slice – thinly slice the cucumbers and red onion.
- Whisk – add the rest of the ingredients for the marinade to a bowl and whisk to combine.
- Toss – add the sliced cucumbers and red onion to the marinade and gently toss to combine.
HOW TO SERVE AND STORE
You can serve this cucumber salad immediately, or cover and chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
To store, keep in an airtight container the fridge for up to 3 days.
WHAT DISHES GO WITH THIS RECIPE
Thank you for visiting my blog! If you made this recipe, or any other recipes of mine, be sure to tag me @veganesetokyo on Instagram and use the hashtag #veganesetokyo. I would love to see your creations❤️
Asian Cucumber Salad
- 3 Japanese cucumbers approx. 300 grams
- 1/2 red onion
For the Marinade
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar see Ingredient Notes for substitution
- 1 tsp low-sodium soy sauce or tamari
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp ginger grated
- 1 tsp garlic grated
- 1 tsp white miso see Ingredient Notes for substitution
- 1 1/2 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp Gochujang see Ingredient Notes for substitution
- 1 1/2 tsp sesame seeds
- red chili flakes to taste
- Thinly slice the cucumbers and red onion.
- Add all the ingredients for the marinade to a bowl and whisk to combine.
- Toss the sliced cucumbers and red onion in the marinade.
- Serve immediately, or cover and chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes. Enjoy!
- きゅうり 3本
- 赤玉ねぎ 1/2個
- 米酢 1/4カップ
- 醤油 小さじ1
- ごま油 小さじ1
- 生姜、すりおろし 小さじ1
- ニンニク、すりおろし 小さじ1
- 白味噌 小さじ1
- メープルシロップ 小さじ1.5
- コチュジャン 小さじ1
- 白ゴマ 小さじ1.5
- 一味唐辛子 お好みで