This recipe for vegan Mongolian Beef is so much like the original Chinese classic. It uses soy curls for beef, and has the same sweet and savory sticky sauce. A delicious recipe that can be made in 20 minutes!
Vegan Mongolian Beef
This vegan version of the popular Chinese dish, Mongolian Beef, is incredibly satisfying! With crispy and tender soy curls coated in a sticky brown sauce, it makes a perfect replacement for the original dish. The recipe is very easy and quick to make. 20 minutes and 9 ingredients are all that you need!
To make this vegan Mongolian Beef, you need the following ingredients (plus water):
- Soy curls
- Potato starch
- Brown sugar
- Soy sauce
- Garlic Scapes
A detailed recipe with measurements is in the recipe card below.
For soy curls, I used filet type dehydrated soy meat. I cut the filet into strips, but you could just use the filet whole, without cutting you if want.
Potato starch 片栗粉 is used to coat the soy curls for frying. It gives them a super crispy, chewy texture. If you don’t have potato starch, you can use cornstarch for the same effect.
Mirin is a type of rice wine with a slightly sweet, tangy flavor. It’s a staple ingredient for many Japanese dishes, especially since it pairs really well with soy sauce. It’s readily available at Asian supermarkets and on Amazon, but if you don’t have mirin, add tbsp of dry sherry or dry white wine , plus 1/4 tbsp of brown sugar.
Garlic scapes, ニンニクの芽 , are the long thin stems of the garlic bulb. They are similar to scallions, but have a more crunchy texture similar to asparagus. They’re delicious and add extra texture to this dish. If you don’t have garlic scapes, you can add asparagus or green onions instead.
How to make vegan Mongolian Beef
There are 4 main steps:
- Prepare the soy curls – if using dehydrated meat, re-hydrate it according to package. Coat them with potato starch.
- Fry – in a frying pan, heat the oil and fry the meat until crispy.
- Add the sauce – mix the ingredients for the sauce in a bowl, and add it to the frying pan.
- Simmer – cook until the sauce thickens.
Garnish with green onions and sesame seeds. Serve over rice.
Thank you for visiting my blog! If you made this recipe, or any other recipes of mine, be sure to tag me @veganesetokyo on Instagram and use the hashtag #veganesetokyo. I would love to see your creations❤️
Vegan Mongolian Beef
- 200 grams soy curls rehydrated
- 2 1/2 tbsp potato starch can be subbed with cornstarch
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 1/2 cup garlic scapes roughly chopped
For the sauce
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 3 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Mirin can be subbed with 1 tbsp of white wine plus 1/4 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp ginger grated
- 2 tsp garlic grated
- 2 1/2 tbsp water
- sesame seeds
- green onions
Make the sauce
- Add all the ingredients for the sauce to a bowl and mix well. Set aside.
Make the soy curls
- Toss soy curls in potato starch to coat evenly.
- Heat oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat, and add the soy curls and garlic scapes. Cook the soy curls for 1~2 minutes on each side, until browned and crispy.
- Lower the heat and add the sauce to the pan. Cook on medium-low heat until the sauce thickens.
- Sprinkle sesame seeds and green onions (optional), and serve with rice. Enjoy!
- 大豆ミート、フィレタイプ 200g 水で戻した状態で200g
- 片栗粉 大さじ2.5
- 油 大さじ2
- ニンニクの芽 4cm幅に切る
- ブラウンシュガー 大さじ2
- 醤油 大さじ3
- みりん 大さじ1
- 生姜、すりおりし 小さじ1
- にんにく、すりおろし 小さじ2
- 水 大さじ2.5
- 小ネギ 適量
- 白ゴマ 適量