This is a tasty Japanese-style curry with Daikon, or Japanese white radish. The daikon adds the perfect amount of mild sweetness and earthy flavor to the curry.
Please note, this post may contain affiliate links. Learn More
Daikon, or Japanese white radish, is one of my favorite curry ingredients. When cooked, daikon has a delicious earthiness combined with mild sweetness. Add that to the traditional spices of curry and Japanese flavors like soy sauce and mirin, and you get the perfect Japanese-style curry!
Here’s what you will need for this curry:
- daikon and its leaves
- coconut oil
- vegan mince
- curry powder
- garam masala
- ground turmeric
- chili powder
- kelp stock powder
- soy sauce
- The daikon root and its leaves are both used in this recipe. The leaves are quite tasty and give the curry added texture, but some supermarkets sell daikon with the leaves removed. If you don’t have any daikon leaves, you can add spinach or kale instead.
- For vegan mince, I use soy meat crumbles (TVP). I’ve also used mince from Naturli and Omnimeat for this recipe, and both were delicious.
- Kelp stock, or Kombu dashi, is equivalent to veg stock/bouillon in Japanese cooking. It’s readily available at Japanese supermarkets and on Amazon. If you don’t have kelp stock, you can substitute it with veg stock powder.
- Mirin is a slightly sweet Japanese rice wine that is a staple in Japanese cooking. If you don’t have Mirin, substitute it with 1 tbsp white wine or white vinegar and 1/2 tsp maple syrup.
How to make Daikon Curry
The recipe is fairly simple. All you need is one pot to cook the ingredients, and about 30 minutes.
Here are the basic steps:
- Sauté onion and garlic in coconut oil.
- Add daikon, vegan mince, and the spices. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring well.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, and cook for 20 minutes or until the daikon is tender.
- Serve with naan bread, or jasmine rice. Enjoy!
Thank you for visiting my blog! If you made this recipe, or any other recipes of mine, be sure to tag me @veganesetokyo on Instagram and use the hashtag #veganesetokyo. I would love to see your creations❤️
Japanese Daikon Radish Curry
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 white onion finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 300 grams daikon peeled and cut
- 100 grams vegan mince
- 1/2 tbsp ginger grated
- 3 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 200 ml water
- 1 tsp kelp stock powder or veg stock powder
- 1 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp mirin
- 1/2 cup daikon leaves roughly chopped
- Sauté onion and garlic in coconut oil until golden.
- Add daikon, vegan mince, curry powder, turmeric, ginger and garam masala. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring well
- Add water, kelp stock powder, soy sauce, mirin and daikon leaves. Cook on medium-low heat, covered, for 20 minutes or until the daikon is tender. Serve with naan bread, or jasmine rice. Enjoy!
- ココナッツオイル 大さじ 1
- 玉ねぎ、みじん切り 1/2個
- ニンニク、みじん切り 2片
- 大根 300g 約1/3本
- ヴィーガンミンチ 100g
- 生姜、すりおろし 大さじ1/2
- カレー粉 小さじ3
- ガラムマサラ 小さじ1
- ターメリック 小さじ1
- チリパウダー 小さじ1
- 水 200ml
- 昆布だし、粉末 小さじ1
- 醤油 大さじ1.5
- みりん 大さじ1
- 大根の葉 1/2カップ