These crispy, toasty Korean pancakes are oh-so delicious, and incredibly easy to make! Here’s a 15-minute recipe for these savory pancakes that are crispy on the outside, chewy in the middle, and loaded with lots of veggies. Korean pancakes are the ultimate comfort food, perfect as a snack, side dish, or a light dinner.
Ingredients for vegan Korean Pancakes
Here are the ingredients you’ll need (see Ingredient Notes for substitutions):
- sesame oil
- cake flour
- potato starch
- vegan soup stock
- Chinese chives
- king oyster mushrooms
- Tamari or low-sodium soy sauce
- rice wine vinegar
- roasted white sesame seeds
- gochugaru (Korean chili flakes)
A detailed recipe with measurements is in the recipe card below.
cake flour – can be subbed with all-purpose flour. For a gluten-free option, use chickpea flour.
potato starch – can be subbed with cornstarch or tapioca starch.
vegan soup stock – I used vegan Chinese soup stock, but you can also use vegetable stock/bouillon. For those in Japan, I used vegan Weipa (Chinese soup stock) sold at Kaldi or online.
veggies – these Korean pancakes are very customizable, so feel free to add any veggie you like!
gochugaru (Korean chili flakes) – is available at most Asian supermarkets or online. You can also use red chili flakes instead, but use less than the recipe amount (adjust to taste).
How to make Korean Pancakes
A detailed recipe is in the recipe card at the bottom of this post, but here’s a quick overview of the process.
1. In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients for the batter.
2. Add the veggies, and mix well to combine.
3. Heat sesame oil in a frying pan, and ladle some of the pancake mixture. Cook on medium heat on both sides until crispy and golden, about 3~4 mins per side.
Pro tip for crispy pancakes: spread the mixture evenly, and use a spatula to gently press down on the pancakes while they are cooking.
4. Cut the cooked pancakes into squares, and serve with the dipping sauce. And ENJOY!
Looking for other vegan Asian comfort foods?
Thank you for visiting my blog! If you made this recipe, or any other recipes of mine, be sure to tag me @veganesetokyo on Instagram and use the hashtag #veganesetokyo. I would love to see your creations❤️
Vegan Korean Pancakes
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
for the batter
- 80 grams cake flour or all-purpose flour (GF option: chickpea flour 90 g)
- 30 grams potato starch or cornstach
- 230 ml vegan soup stock Chinese or vegetable soup stock/bouillon
- 50 grams Chinese chives chopped
- 50 grams carrots shredded
- 50 grams king oyster mushrooms diced
- 1/2 onion sliced
- 2 tbsp tamari or low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp roasted white sesame seeds
- 1/2 tbsp scallions minced
- 1/2 tsp gochugaru (Korean chili powder) or red chili flakes (adjust to taste)
- In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients for the batter. Add the veggies, and mix well to combine.
- Heat sesame oil in a frying pan, and ladle some of the pancake mixture. Cook on medium heat on both sides until crispy and golden, about 3~4 mins per side. Pro tip for crispy pancakes: spread the mixture evenly, and use a spatula to gently press down on the pancakes while they are cooking.
- Cut the cooked pancakes into squares, and serve with the dipping sauce. And enjoy!
- ゴマ油 大さじ 1
- 薄力粉 80g
- 片栗粉 30g
- 中華ダシ (野菜ダシでもOK) 230 ml ヴィーガン味覇 小さじ 1 + 水 230ml
- ニラ、ざく切り 50g
- 人参、細切り 50g
- エリンギ、細切り 50g
- 玉ねぎ、薄切り 1/2 個
- 醤油 大さじ 2
- 酢 大さじ 2
- いり白こま 大さじ 1
- 小ネギ、大さじ 1/2
- 韓国粉唐辛子 小さじ 1/2 一味唐辛子でもOK、量はお好みで調整