Looking for a quick way to add more greens to your meals? Then try this easy Sautéed Broccolini recipe. Crunchy, vibrant broccolini sautéed in a buttery, savory soy sauce – it’s the perfect side dish that takes only 10 minutes to make!
Please note, this post may contain affiliate links. Learn More
Did you know? Broccolini, a hybrid of broccoli and Chinese broccoli, was originally developed in Japan in the 1980’s? It looks like a thinner, taller version of broccoli, but its taste is more similar to asparagus. It has an earthy flavor that’s milder and sweeter than broccoli.
Because of its thin stems, broccolini is very easy to cook! It requires very little prep work, and cooks quickly. So, this recipe is perfect for a busy weeknight dinner, or whenever you want to a yummy, healthy easy side dish that takes very little effort to make.
Ingredients for Sautéed Broccolini
Here are the ingredients you’ll need:
Avocado Oil – is natural oil pressed from the pulp of an avocado. It’s a heart-healthy oil recommended for high heat cooking. If you need to substitute, you can also use olive oil.
Soy sauce – I use regular Japanese soy sauce, which is slightly sweeter and less saltier than Chinese soy sauce. You can also use Tamari as a gluten-free option in this recipe.
Mirin – is a type of sweet rice wine that is commonly used in Japanese cooking. It has a unique flavor that is both sweet and slightly acidic, and it is often used as a seasoning in marinades, sauces, and glazes. Mirin is readily available at most Asian supermarkets and online.
To see my curated list of essential ingredients for Asian cooking, check out my Amazon Storefront (US).
How to make Sautéed Broccolini
A detailed recipe is in the recipe card at the bottom of this post, but here’s a quick overview of the process.
1. Trim the bottom ends of the broccolini stalks, and cut any thick stalks in half lengthwise.
2. Heat avocado oil in a skillet on medium heat, and add the broccolini. Add a pinch of salt, and sauté for 5 minutes, until just tender.
3. Turn heat down, and add vegan butter, soy sauce, and mirin. Sauté on medium-low heat until the sauce dissipates. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Plate and serve with lemon wedges, and ENJOY!
Looking for other vegan side dishes?
- Garlic Edamame
- Sautéed Bok Choy
- Asian Cucumber Salad
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- Garlic Sauteed Spinach
Thank you for visiting my blog! If you made this recipe, or any other recipes of mine, be sure to tag me @veganesetokyo on Instagram and use the hashtag #veganesetokyo. I would love to see your creations❤️
Sautéed Broccolini Recipe
- 1 bunch (200g) broccolini
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 tbsp vegan butter
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp mirin
- salt and pepper to taste
- lemon wedges
- Trim the bottom ends of the broccolini stalks, and cut any thick stalks in half lengthwise.
- Heat avocado oil in a skillet on medium heat, and add the broccolini. Add a pinch of salt, and sauté for 5 minutes, until just tender.
- Turn heat down, and add vegan butter, soy sauce, and mirin. Sauté on medium-low heat until the sauce dissipates. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Plate and serve with lemon wedges, and ENJOY!