This delicious Vegan Mince Bowl is packed with protein and flavor! Made with plant-based mince, fresh vegetables, and a savory sauce, this recipe is the perfect combination of hearty and healthy. And the best part? It only takes 15 minutes to make it, so you can have a satisfying meal on the table in no time.
Please note, this post may contain affiliate links. Learn More
Ingredients for Vegan Mince Bowl
Here are the ingredients you’ll need:
Sesame oil – is cooking oil made from sesame seeds. It has a slightly nutty but mostly neutral flavor, and it works well with many Japanese dishes. Use any neutral cooking oil if you need to substitute.
Miso – it adds “umami”, an added depth of flavor and savoriness. For this recipe, I recommend yellow or red miso. Red miso has a more concentrated, bolder umami flavor, so it works well in braises, stir-fries, and hearty soups.
Dark soy sauce – is thicker, darker, and slightly sweeter than regular soy sauce. I use it not only for flavoring, but also to give dishes a deep, rich darkened color. If you don’t have dark soy sauce, you can use regular or light soy sauce instead.
Mirin – is a type of sweet rice wine that is commonly used in Japanese cooking. It has a unique flavor that is both sweet and slightly acidic, and it is often used as a seasoning in marinades, sauces, and glazes. Mirin is readily available at most Asian supermarkets and online.
Coconut sugar – can be subbed with other granulated sugars like brown sugar or cane sugar.
To see my curated list of essential ingredients for Asian cooking, check out my Amazon Storefront (US).
How to make Vegan Mince Bowl
A detailed recipe is in the recipe card at the bottom of this post, but here’s a quick overview of the process.
1. Heat sesame oil in a pan, and sauté garlic, ginger and onions on medium heat for 2 minutes.
2. Add vegan mince, and the seasonings (dark soy sauce, miso, coconut sugar, mirin) to the pan. Cook on medium-low heat for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Add asparagus, green onions, and water. Cover with a lid, and cook on low heat for 5 minutes, until the asparagus are tender.
4. Serve in a bowl over some white rice, and garnish with sesame seeds. ENJOY💕
Looking for other vegan Japanese dishes?
- Hayashi Rice
- Agedashi Tofu
- Congee (Rice Porridge)
- Miso Garlic Pasta
- Maitake Mushroom Steak
- Spicy Edamame
- Japanese Meatballs
Thank you for visiting my blog! If you made this recipe, or any other recipes of mine, be sure to tag me @veganesetokyo on Instagram and use the hashtag #veganesetokyo. I would love to see your creations❤️
Vegan Mince Bowl
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1/2 white onion diced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tsp ginger minced
- 200 grams vegan mince
- 1 tbsp miso paste
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp mirin
- 2 tsp dark soy sauce
- 80 ml water
- 1 cup asparagus thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup green onions chopped
- sesame seeds
- chili flakes optional
*see Ingredient Notes above for substitutions/recommendations
- Heat sesame oil in a pan, and sauté garlic, ginger and onions on medium heat for 2 minutes.
- Add vegan mince, dark soy sauce, miso, coconut sugar, and mirin to the pan. Cook on medium-low heat for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add asparagus, green onions, and water. Cover with a lid, and cook on low heat for 5 minutes, until the asparagus are tender.
- Serve in a bowl over some white rice, and garnish with sesame seeds and chili flakes (optional). ENJOY!