Homemade vegan English muffins with all the nooks and crannies, dips and peaks! The best part is you don’t even need an oven to make them. Just a pan or a griddle, 8 simple ingredients, and you can enjoy these delicious vegan muffins.
Vegan English Muffins
Vegan English muffins are one of the easiest breads to make. You simply mix the ingredients in a bowl, wait for the dough to rise (this is probably the hardest step in the whole process!), shape the dough and cook them on a griddle. I love than you don’t even need to turn on the oven for these tasty muffins.
The recipe is for 8 English muffins, but feel free to double, even triple, the ingredients. I usually make a big batch and store them in the freezer. They store well for up to two months. Whenever I want one, I thaw them at room temperature, then pop them in the toaster. They come out soft and fluffy in the middle, with crunchy chewy edges…so good!
What you will need to make these vegan English muffins are 7 simple, pantry ingredients plus water:
- dry yeast
- soy milk
- cane sugar
- vegan butter
A detailed recipe with measurements is in the recipe card below.
For flour, I use bread flour (strong flour) to give the muffins a chewy texture. I have also used whole-wheat flour in a 1:1 ratio to bread flour. It worked fine, but the texture was slightly denser and did not rise as much.
Soy milk can be subbed with any other non-dairy milk.
Cornmeal is used for dusting, so that the muffins don’t stick to the griddle. If you don’t have cornmeal, you could use breadcrumbs. Finely mill breadcrumbs by grinding them in a food processor.
Vegan butter, or vegan margarine will work.
Cane sugar can be subbed with any granulated sugar in a 1:1 ratio.
Storing the Muffins
Store the muffins in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. They can also be kept in the freezer for two months. Thaw at room temperature before toasting them.
Thank you for visiting my blog! If you made this recipe, or any other recipes of mine, be sure to tag me @veganesetokyo on Instagram and use the hashtag #veganesetokyo. I would love to see your creations❤️
Vegan English Muffins
- 150 ml water warm
- 1 tsp active dry yeast
- 130 ml soy milk can be subbed with any nondairy milk
- 1 tbsp cane sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp vegan butter melted
- 3 cups strong/bread flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- cornmeal for dusting can also use finely milled panko breadcrumbs
- Mix warm water and active dry yeast, and let it sit for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the yeast mixture with the rest of the ingredients. Knead the dough to form a smooth ball (by hand, about 10 minutes).
- Place the dough in a greased bowl, cover, and let it rise in a warm place until doubled in size. (1 ~ 1½ hours)
- Divide the dough into 8 pieces, and shape each piece into balls. Place them on parchment paper, cover, and let it rise 1/2 hour.(Sprinkle some cornmeal or milled panko on the parchment paper and tops of muffins to prevent them from sticking)
- On a greased griddle or pan, cook the muffins on medium/low heat for 10 minutes on each side, or until golden bown. If the muffins rise too much, flatten them by gently pressing down with a spatula. (Depending on the thickness of your muffins, it might take longer to cook)
- Let the muffins cool completely, then split them open with a fork. Toast them and serve with vegan butter or your favorite jam. Enjoy!
- ぬるま湯 １５０ml
- ドライイースト 小さじ１
- 豆乳 １３０ml
- てんさい糖 大さじ１
- ヴィーガンバター 大さじ１.５
- 強力粉 ３カップ
- 塩 小さじ ０.５
- コーンミール適量 無ければ、ミルで粉末にしたパン粉でもOK
- 生地を丸めて、ボウルに入れてラップをする。２倍になるまで１次発酵。(１~１.５ 時間くらい)
- 生地を８等分りして、丸める。コーンミール又はパン粉を両面につけてから、クッキングシートを敷いた天板に並べる。 ラップをして３０分置く。２次発酵。